Sunday, February 9, 2014

The Flagrantz-"Live At The Franklin St. VFW Hall, New Orleans (1987)"


The Flagrantz were a hardcore/thrash band from New Orleans, LA in the late 80's. They  never officially recorded anything before disbanding, but I was recently handed this live recording from one of their many VFW Hall shows!
Here is an interview with former bassist, Chris Fonseca!


Who was in The Flagrantz and how/when did you get together?
The main two members were Craig Spera-vocals and Jason Baas-guitar. The band started in late 1986 and was made up of high school guys from New Orleans East.
The Flagrantz soon came to attention of the Shell Shock camp and opened some big all ages shows while I was in  Shell Shock. In summer of 87 I left Shell Shock along with Mike Goner. We started our own band called Magic Circus with Sean Hennessey. At the same time The Flagrantz bassist was leaving and they asked if I was interested. So the "classic" Flagrantz line up was Craig Spera-vocals, Jason Baas-guitar Jason Mancuso-guitar, Chris Fonseca-bass, Victor Lemoine-drums

What style of music did you play?
The bands concept was fresh to me as they played speed metal but had a hardcore singer.like if Slayer had the D.R.I. singer or something

When was the show that these songs were recorded?
The recording is at the v.f.w.hall fall 1987 . Prob with incubus, Exhorder and Shell Shock.

Why did y'all never get into the studio to record a demo?
The band was extremely part time as far as worrying about touring or recording. Everyone was still in high school except me, the grandpa at 22.
Unfortunately no other recordings have survived that I know of...would have been recorded in Baas's garage so the only pro recording is of this V.F.W Hall show.


What are some of your favorite memories from the 80's NOLA underground scene both on and off stage?
The band were like younger brothers to me since we were friends from the neighborhood. I had a lot of parties at my family house that bands like Ugly Americans, Descendents and Graveyard Rodeo played at, so I knew a lot of guys from New Orleans East that were too young to see these bands at clubs.
The Virul Nihils were also a band that played the New Orleans East party scene...where kids counted!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks! I've never heard their records.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have any records of Ontic Evil? Are they from New Orleans? I saw their name on Blatant Frustration's flyer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure if Ontic Evil ever recorded anything. If I find anything, I'll post it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LSD and splatter films !

    ReplyDelete